Friday, January 21, 2011

Way to be consistent, guys

In just 24 hours, the Leafs went from being shut out 7-0 to the Rangers (way to defend Elisha Cuthbert's honour, Phaneuf) to blasting Anaheim 5-2.

The time between the slaughter and the actual game allowed for much self-reflection, and I'm not so sure how I feel about it.

For starters, I am not proud of myself for not turning off Wednesday night's shit show. I didn't need to watch the clock ticking down in the third period, I didn't need to see that sixth goal, and I certainly did not need to see the seventh. I also could have done without the knowledge that Lebda wasn't on the ice, which meant I couldn't technically blame him for the carnage. I still did, but I acknowledge that that probably wasn't fair.

I pride myself on focusing on the things I care about and not wasting my time on people or things that do nothing but upset me. And then there's the Leafs, and those seven (hey, remember way back when, when it was sometimes eight!) whole months a year when I can't help but sink hours and hours of my time into watching them rip my heart out of my chest, stuff it back in, resuscitate me just in the nick of time, then rip it out and skate over it a few hundred times just to make sure I get it.

And then they play like they did yesterday.

Giguere has a great night that bumps his SV% to .900, Bozak reminds me of all the reasons I seriously considered buying his jersey last year, Grabbo ties his career-high 20 goal season in just 45 games, and Phaneuf even hits somebody.

Sick diving save by Jiggy. Seriously. I have no joke. It was awesome.
So yes, all the signs point to a wildly unhealthy relationship that I am investing far too much time into and relying on emotionally in ways I most certainly should not. (Did I mention I just bought a Leafs blow-up chair?)

But then sometimes they win, which makes me happy, so I call Pops and we talk about how Grabbo's exceeding our wildest expectations and isn't he just dandy and thank god Schenn is stepping up with the big minutes in a big way, and argue about which of their names I should get on the jersey he should definitely buy me for my birthday this year...

Euh. I'm not going to read too much into it.

(Photo from Getty Images via mapleleafs.nhl.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment