Saturday, January 1, 2011

Baby Eater of the Year

The Maple Leafs played their last game of 2010 on Thursday against Columbus, and, of course, it was none other than the Blue Jackets' Rick Nash who scored the winner. The Leafs end the year having won 29 games of 77 for a total of 58 points for a winning percentage of .377.

Yes, Really.

So instead of reflecting on the Leafs 2010 campaign which could only end in tears and over-consumption of alcohol (it never happened if I can't remember it!), I thought I'd continue on with what I started last week and bring you the Baby Eater of the Year.

Now, this isn't your everyday Baby Eater, folks. This selection speaks to why players like Wendel Clark and Gary Roberts will always have a special place in my heart. I'm all for hockey fights, not only for their entertainment value, but as a barometer for a player's investment in a game. I want to see frustration when things aren't going well, and I want to see players defending their teammates when they are at the receiving end of a dirty play. That being said, I'm not a fan of hired goons. Well, other than Colton Orr, obviously, because anyone who makes Matt Carkner cry like a little girl is fine by me.

I understand the importance of having goons on a roster, not only because they are properly trained as fighters (and therefore actually know how, for the most part, which should theoretically decrease the likelihood of them getting destroyed), but also as a form of on-ice insurance for the smaller skilled guys. But simply being a good fighter doesn't necessarily a good hockey fight make. It's the skilled guys who don't need to fight, the ones that for all intents and purposes shouldn't fight, that are truly remarkable to watch. That's why I am a big fan of the Gordie Howe hat trick. For a guy to score, assist and fight all in one game - dude's a hockey player.

So I present to you my Baby Eater of 2010. He is one of the most skilled guys on the ice at any time, and in what I'm sure is a first and last for a Baby Eater, he is the winner of four Lady Byngs for exhibiting sportsmanship and gentlemanly play combined with playing ability (better luck to him next year; looks like his campaign for a fifth is pretty much DOA). That's right, the Baby Eater of 2010 is none other than Pavel Datsyuk of the Detroit Red Wings, thanks to his Gordie Howe hat trick, which included his bout with Anaheim's Corey Perry in the first game of the season for both teams on October 8th. Video via hockeyfightsdotcom.



Pavel Datsyuk, you inspire me.

No comments:

Post a Comment