Thursday, January 13, 2011

Reim in his prime, right on time

It may only be 12 days into January, but it's not too early to declare 2011 the year of James Reimer. In response to his heroic exploits on the west coast this week, Governor Jerry Brown called an emergency press conference this morning during which he surrendered the state of California to the Leafs' wunderkind goalie in an effort to avoid further humiliation. 

In his five starts this season Reimer has four wins, a GAA of 1.92, a SV% of .947, and has had significant impact in aiding non-violent communications between North and South Korea to stave off what many were calling an inevitable WWIII. More importantly, having him in the pipes has led me to be overwhelmed by a strange and unfamiliar sense of calm. Even in the dying minutes of Monday's game in Los Angeles when Dion Phaneuf took a dumbass slashing penalty that would normally cause me to bang my head repeatedly on my desk to numb the pain that would come when the other team would score the obligatory goal mere seconds in, I found myself smiling; there was no doubt in my mind that despite the Kings having two extra skaters on the ice, Reimer was not letting that puck in the net. He was cool, calm, and collected, and for the first time in years I was at ease (and I swear it had nothing to do with the knowledge that Lebda was far, far from play, safe in the confines of the press box... although I'm definitely all for keeping him there). 

It's amazing because for the first time in ages I am happy with a Leafs goaltender not because I am encouraged by his steady improvement (*cough* Gus), or bolstered by the possibility that he may in fact not be totally past his prime (*wheeze**hack**cough* Giguere), or even just plain thrilled that it was anyone at all whose jersey didn't read "TOSKALA" across the back. I am happy because he is playing well now. You can call small sample size, or argue that he's untested, but the fact remains that I really don't think it's an overreaction at all for Toronto Mayor Rob Ford to immediately erect a 20-foot statue of Reimer in Maple Leaf Square and make Ron Wilson do all of his post-game interviews directly in front of it. Try to send him down now, Ron! Oh, can't do it can you? Damn those incredibly young and talented hockey players deserving their ice time. Damn them to hell.

Also, have you ever seen a bigger smile in your life?

Speaking of young talented Maple Leafs I am a huge fan of, my boy Tim Brent got into the fisticuffs with Marco Sturm of the Kings. Note how quickly the refs jump in. They clearly both knew if they didn't interfere immediately Sturm was a goner. No one crosses Tim Brent and lives to tell about it.


Note the pride in Joe Bowen's voice as Brent gets into his very first tiff. Adorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment